The Bar Tender's Guide: How To Mix Drinks or The Bon-Vivant's Companion
, by Jerry Thomas (first published in 1862) have provided you with a classic recipe for that quintessential Kentucky Derby cocktail - The Mint Julep: THE CLASSIC MINT JULEP (Use a Large Bar Glass):
- 1 tablespoon of white pulverized sugar.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of water (mix well with a spoon)
- Take 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh mint, and press them well into the sugar water, until the flavor of the mint is extracted
- Add 1 1/2 wine-glass of Cognac brandy;
- Fill the glass with fine shaved ice, then draw out the sprigs of mint and insert them in the ice with the stems downward, so that the leaves will be above, in the shape of a bouquet.
- Arrange berries and small pieces of sliced orange on top in a tasty manner
- Dash with Jamaica rum, and sprinkle white sugar on top
- Place straw as represented in the picture, and you'll have a julep that is fit for an emperor!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
To aid you in your Derby Day preparations, Pengallan &